[PLUG] Is Debian that hard to work with, or am I that dumb?

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Wed Mar 24 08:52:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Randall Lucas wrote:
> These last two times were with a Compaq ProLiant server and a Dell
> Dimension -- both extremely ubiquitous units, one old and venerable and
> one new and up-to-date.  However, both times, I had to play all kinds of
> games with kernel recompilation just to get the NIC working, and I never
> did get XFree86 up.

I'll tell ya... I installed Debian on a Dell yesterday.  I had no such
trouble.  I had to choose the network interface driver (eepro100) at the
stage where the install asks to select additional kernel modules, but it
(of course) just worked after that.  Very normal part of the set-up.  I
also installed the DRI module for i810 (the motherboard chipset) and then,
when the XServer package was being configured, I told it to use the i810
driver and gave the horizontal and vertical sync of the monitor (from the
web) and X came up perfectly on the first try (I had to adjust the monitor
itself to center the image, but that's not unusual).

There may be something that seems obvious to me that has, heretofore, been
hidden from you by "user friendly" software configuration, but I can't
imagine what it is.

Netinst images are the way to go, of course.

Sounds like you should have been at the Clinic last Saturday.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net