[PLUG] Swap usage keeps increasing

Mel Andres mel97215 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 25 12:00:03 UTC 2004

I'm running Suse 9.0 Personal, XD2 environment. I have to reboot every
once in awhile because I eventually run out of swap. I once thought that
I had narrowed it down to cupsd, but I have found that it isn't the only
contributer. I posted my findings to a larger group, and was told to
just wait for the 2.6 kernel. Now, I know that Evolution has some
processes that keep re-spawning, and if I kill those processes, I gain
back a little of my swap space. Overall, I am fighting a losing battle.
Is this indicative of a memory leak? There is a memory profiler in the
development tools, but there is no documentation for it. If I increase
my physical memory, will that resolve my problem, or just buy me more
time?

Here are some excerpts from system information:

Linux version 2.4.21-192-default (root at i386.suse.de) (gcc version 3.3.1
(SuSE Linux)
Memory: 254896k/261588k available
Adding Swap: 530104k swap-space

Right now I have:

Two instances of evolution-alarm-notify.
Eight instances of evolution-wombat, and eleven instances of
bonobo-activation-server.

Sometimes I find multiple instances of nautilus, but killing those is
worse than living with them. It invokes a nautilus-throbber process, and
lots of windows of my home directory pop up.

--
  Mel Andres
                  	<<<   Registered Linux user #347871    >>>