[PLUG] UNIX(/Linux) Intor (text)Book

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Thu Mar 25 15:02:01 UTC 2004

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Rich Shepard wrote:

> Rod,
>
>   I don't know whether to be insulted or complimented. :-)

A compliment for sure.  I think you, like me, would rather be using
computers than fixing them.

>   Anyway, long ago I found a book called, "Linux A-Z" by an instructor at
> the University of Sheffield, UK, Phil Cornes. It's out of print now, but
> some are available at amazon.com. I found it invaluable to understand what's
> going on becuause it was written for Phil's classes in operating systems.

Darn! (Just ordered a copy from Barns and Noble)

>   He covered why filesystems should be partitioned rather than having
> everything in /, and all the other overview aspects of linux and other
> unices. After having read the Red Hat-specific books to install and
> configure my system, Corne's book gave me the big picture the others lacked.
> I thought it the best general introduction out there. So, I sent it to my
> colleague in North Carolina whom I'm trying to push out the Windows.

I ran into a great book very similar to this.  "Computer Science: an
Overview"(?), Brookshear.  Even lower level than you're talking about.

>   Don't know what is currently available like that since I'm no longer in
> that market. Andy Tannenbaum's OS book with minix is probably too out of
> date, too. :-)

This is really too low level.  A good read but not where I'm heading.

Rod