[PLUG] UNIX(/Linux) Intor (text)Book

Derek Loree drl at drloree.com
Thu Mar 25 15:06:01 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 13:48, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> Paul, Rich, Jack,
>
> It was too early in the morning.
>    This is an Introductory class not a lot of system administration.  I
> only want to get into finding and installing software as it applies to the
> different methods from tarballs to the many package management and
> repository systems.
>
> They'll be doing basic command line, intermediate command line, shell
> scripting, and some simple system monitoring (df, du, top, ps, who, etc.)
> I'm looking for a book for the user with a technical background (not
> necessarily computer science) that needs to _use_ a UNIX/Linux/BSD system.
>
> Rich you would be a good example of the type of user I'm thinking of (when
> you're using your systems not fixing them.  :-)

O'Reilly has a book called "Running Linux" that a friend gave me a
couple of years ago.  Published in '99 (third edition), it was a little
to basic for me, but was interesting enough that I read it all the way
through anyway.  It is very good at explaining why instead of just what,
perfect for my learning style.  I'm not sure if it is still in print.

Good Luck,

Derek Loree