[PLUG] quiet IDE drives?

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Thu Mar 25 15:31:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 15:22, Russell Senior wrote:
> I've got a noisy server that just moved into a working space.  I'd
> first guessed it was fan noise, and was set to replace the power
> supply, but opening the box, it turns out to be disk whine instead.
> What do people like for quiet drives these days?  I'll probably be
> buying at ENU, if that helps narrow the field.  Also, probably not one
> of the bigger ones, as we are on a tight budget.

Google and grep your way around some of the Quiet PC type websites...
they make these drive holders now that insulate the drive away from the
metal of the case, essentially suspending the drive on rubber bands.
The result is a significantly quieter hard drive.  Of course, it has
been questioned whether or not this will degrade the performance and
life of the drive, as well as whether or not it will cause additional
heating of the drive... but it's worth investigating, I think.

That would be much cheaper, I believe, than buying a whole new hard
drive.

Rob