[PLUG] Linux+

Ed Sawicki ed at alcpress.com
Thu Mar 25 17:21:01 UTC 2004

Chris Penwell wrote:
>     I am currently looking to get A+ and Net+ certified, mostly as
> resume' fodder. As a home "Linux-on-the-desktop" user for about the last
> three years, (Mandrake 8.0 - 10.0,) and a Linux server and firewall
> admin for the last two or three months, (at home, my roommate and I have
> a goofy network setup,) My question is this, is the Linux+
> cert. something I should bother with. Or is it simply more
> resume' padding? Or is this the right place to even ask this question?
> Or are my socks on fire?

I took the silly test only because one of my publishers wanted
me to and paid me to do it. It's a stripped-down A+ test with
Linux questions added. This means that you need to know PC hardware
and architecture even if you never run Linux on a PC. Many of the
questions and answers are silly. My favorite question asked what
I would do if I wanted a process to run more slowly (to get lesser
CPU cycles). Their correct answer was to stop the daemon and restart
it using the nice program. Apparently, the Linux wizards at CompTIA
don't know processes can be reniced without stopping them.

Ed