[PLUG] Chat/IM Server

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Fri Mar 26 09:48:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 08:06, Morthland, Cam wrote:
> I am looking for suggestions on Easy-to-use/administer Chat/IM server
> that I can set up for internal (corporate) use.  Also, what are some
> opinions on the best/easiest Windows-based IM clients to use with the
> suggested server.

As Paul and Derek suggested... Jabber.  It isn't terribly easy to set
up, but it isn't any more difficult than any other server, IMHO.
Editing XML files by hand does suck a whole bunch, though.  It is very
feature rich and quite powerful.  You can do something as simple as just
an IM server (what I now have set up; I disabled my external
transports), or as complicated as something which has a chat server,
user database, AIM, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, IRC, SMTP, and likely other
transports.

As for an IM client, I'm partial to Gaim.  The Windows port is moving
right along.  If not Gaim, I think Exodus is the most popular.

Rob