[PLUG] Swap usage keeps increasing

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Fri Mar 26 12:21:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, Geoff Burling wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Felix Lee wrote:
> > hm.  my X server right now is about 24M virt, 14m rss, but I restarted
> > it today.  still, I don't think mine ever gets larger than about 50M
> > virt during normal use.

I didn't read this thread from the top, but did someone explain exactly
what the "VIRT" column is showing?  It ain't swap, that's for sure.

On my system, X is shown with 107m in the VIRT column, but I don't have
any swap.

jbrelin at person:~$ free
Mem:       1032816    1018408      14408          0     160840     663760
-/+ buffers/cache:     193808     839008
Swap:            0          0          0

> The amount of resources that X uses depends on your Window Manager.

Uh... how's that work?  My window manager is its own process and I can't
see how it could change the running size of the X server process.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net