[PLUG] Kernel Compiler

Bill Spears bspears at easystreet.com
Fri Mar 26 23:08:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 21:32, Jeme A Brelin wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, Bill Spears wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 18:06, Jeme A Brelin wrote:
> > > Can you trim the quoted material in your posts and perhaps separate your
> > > added material with newlines or something so that your readers will know
> > > what you've added?
>
> This still applies.
I don't know why I bother, but I believe the original post which you
found it so necessary to criticize was about 5  lines.

> > > They're going to be the same as the kernel.
> >
> > Not when you're installing other people's stuff.  The problem was that
> > I'm using the latest Fedora 1 kernel, and the supplied module was for an
> > earlier kernel.
>
> Who supplied it?  Did you get source?
Well gee, if I had the  source and I made it, would it be likely to be
compiled for a different kernel. Geez, Thimk!
> > Having been bitten once, I wanted to be able to check it in the future.
> > I thought that whatever tool worked on kernels would would work on .o
> > files.
>
> Tool?
Is this really that hard to understand?

> > Which is why I formatted my question in way that you found confusing.
>
> I wasn't confused by the question.  There isn't a way to find the gcc
> version from a binary module, as far as I know.
If you were not confused,  why make such a big deal about the format.
What's with you and your incessant need to control others?

> > > The closest I think you're going to get is the kernel_version string
> > > embedded in there.  But if you don't know, you shouldn't be anywhere
> > > near the thing.
> >
> > Really, I shouldn't make drivers?
>
> You shouldn't be using drivers that aren't from the same source as your
> kernel.
Well, duh, I was told that these  would work. Naturally, I should have
assumed that they would be fubarred.

> > Believe me, I would be really happy not to do any of this sys admin
> > stuff, but it's a little hard to run Linux, especially, on a laptop,
> > without it.
>
> I have an ex-girlfriend who knows nothing about system administration and
> runs Linux on her laptop.
Oh, gee, that is so cute.  You have an ex (not totally unanticipated)
girl friend who can do this. What's that supposed to be a toofer, a gurl
can do it, how hard can it be.

> Just pick the right laptop and distribution and get some help at the
> occassional clinic.
Then WTF is this list for?

> > Contrary to received opinion, the man pages, how-tos, and other
> > documentation are less than radiantly clear.
>
> They all have different audiences.  How-tos are fairly plain english,
> though.

>  Man pages tend to be written from the system developer's point of
> view.
Is that what that is? They presume a familiarity with the subject, which
is fair, but they are not at all useful if you don't already know the
subject

> > The point that you and some others on this list don't seem to be able to
> > comprehend is that if one could ask a really clear question, one
> > probably wouldn't need to.

> If you don't know what to ask, don't just take a stab in the dark.
This is profoundly stupid.  If you're in the dark, you ask what you ask.
If certain arrogant shit heads don't like it, don't f-g reply.
Which reminds me, I've been told over and over to f-g plonk you, and I
am vividly reminded why.
>   If
> you'd provided more context, you could have gotten a more verbose answer
> (and therefore one more likely to contain useful information).
Oh, crap.  I didn't want to write a f-g essay about  my problems, I just
wanted a quick reply.  Not life advice.

--
Bill Spears <bspears at easystreet.com>