[PLUG] missing gcc in PATH

Derwyn Harris derwyn at snapdragonacu.com
Sat Mar 27 10:01:02 UTC 2004

I installed the Java Desktop to see what it was all about. It uses suse
as it's linux distro. Then I decided I would like to learn PHP which
lead me to installing Apache. In the instructions from the PHP site to
get it all configured I'm supposed to run this line:

./configure --prefix=/www --enable-module=so

at this point it fails telling me that:

"Error: could not find any of these C compilers
anywhere in your PATH: gcc cc acc c89
Configure terminated"

I did a find and there is a gcc-lib and a gcc.html but not much else.
The rpm -q does not turn anything up.

Do I need to install gcc? And if so where is the best place to download
it. It seems there is no clear place to download it. I downloaded
gcc-3.2.2-45.src.rpm from suse's 8.1 website but there were a bunch
others. (I just took the one from the top)

Any suggestions? Am I headed down the right path?