[PLUG] Linux+

David Mandel dmandel at pdxLinux.org
Sat Mar 27 20:57:01 UTC 2004

I have strange feelings about certifications in general and Linux ones
in particular, but:

    -  I think they are useful for people who lack 4 year degrees or
       have their degrees in an area like history or philosophy that
       isn't clearly related to computing.

    -  Certifications are also required or nearly required for certain
       jobs, especially in government and/or education.

    -  Certifications are also useful if not required when dealing with
       recruiters and HR people.

I never really thought certification meant much in terms of skills or
knowledge, but they are useful for certain people in looking for work.
And for this purpose, one is most interested in getting the most respected
certifications regardless in the certification's  "knowledge" value.  In
those terms, the "+" series of certifications is pretty good.

                                                       Dave

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Chris Penwell wrote:

>     I am currently looking to get A+ and Net+ certified, mostly as resume'
> fodder. As a home "Linux-on-the-desktop" user for about the last three
> years, (Mandrake 8.0 - 10.0,) and a Linux server and firewall admin for the
> last two or three months, (at home, my roommate and I have a goofy network
> setup,) My question is this, is the Linux+ cert. something I should bother
> with. Or is it simply more resume' padding? Or is this the right place to
> even ask this question? Or are my socks on fire?

>  I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said: "I drank what?"
> - Chris Knight (Val Kilmer)- Real Genius

                                          Sincerely,
                                          David Mandel
                                          Chief Activist
                                          Portland Linux/Unix Group