[PLUG] Supraexpress isa modem problems

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Mon Mar 29 03:34:02 UTC 2004

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004, Aaron wrote:
> Thanks for the help everyone.  I did a little searching and it turns out
> that my ppp0 was not the default route for external addresses.  So I
> tried using route add default ppp0.  This worked except that every time
> that I connected I had to type this in the shell.  Im not exactly sure
> what this did, but according to another forum I removed diald using
> apt-get and this took care of the problem.  I'm assuming that a device
> was set as default first and was set as a higher priority than ppp0.
> Does this make sense?

It does make sense and until I got to those last two sentences above, I
was going to suggest that you take a look at /etc/network/interfaces and
/etc/gateways to see what was already in there.

Removing diald probably removed some lines added for the configuration of
that tool what was impacting your use of the conflicting tools.

Glad to hear all is working!

> To make a long story short I skipped using wvdial and went to using pon
> and poff with pppconfig.  Im up and running great now.  Thanks again for
> all the input!

I like pon and poff.  I think it's a good and straightforward way to
handle dialup.

But if you can find a way to get the gpppon (or whatever it's exactly
called) gnome panel applet to actually run as an applet, let me know!

(Actually, the friends' machine that is currently on a dialup connection
will soon be moved to a home with a permanent connection, so I guess the
urgency is overstated.)

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin