[PLUG] Re: Internal DNS

Keith Morse kgmorse at mpcu.com
Mon Mar 29 15:44:02 UTC 2004

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Jeme A Brelin wrote:

> I have two questions today to pose to the gang.  They will be in separate
> messages.
>
> I find myself, for the first time in my experience, in need of internal
> DNS.  I have a local DNS server that is providing lookups for my clients
> and also doing primary service for the domains served out of the local
> datacenter.
>
> I need to have name resolution for internal hosts that do not have public
> addresses.
>
> The one caveat is that the domain to which these devices believe they
> belong is wildcarded to a single address.
>
> What's the best approach here?
>
> Should I set up a separate internal DNS server that just serves local
> info or is there a way to serve that local info only to local clients from
> the same server as the public DNS?

This is how I implement "local" dns.  Have a local dns server for local
resolution.  No dependency on a name server that might need to be broought
down for maintenance or is having network connectivity issues.  You can
use split views on one dns server to accomplish this, but given the low
cost of moderately performing hardware an internal dns server is
reasonable.

> Is there a way to serve "domainless" name resolution so that a host "foo"
> can resolve to an address or do I use a domain zonefile and rely on the
> "search" parameter of the clients to add the domain name?

the only domainless way I'm aware of is thru host files and keeping them
up to date is problematic.