[PLUG] RE: Re: Internal DNS

Keith Morse kgmorse at mpcu.com
Mon Mar 29 20:27:02 UTC 2004

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Chris Penwell wrote:

> > Is there a way to serve "domainless" name resolution so that a host
> > "foo" can resolve to an address or do I use a domain zonefile and rely
> > on the "search" parameter of the clients to add the domain name?
>
> the only domainless way I'm aware of is thru host files and keeping them
> up to date is problematic.
>

> Do all the host files need to be the same? If so, why couldn't person set up
> link to a hosts file somewhere central, like the file server?
>
> (go easy, I'm kind of a newbie)

As Jeme alluded to but didn't explain, the above concept is chicken and
egg in nature.  The file you require for name resolution requires name
resolution in order for it to be read in the first place.

Host files were the way to get things done way back when, before DNS
existed.  I' sure it quickly became untenable when the host list grew to
more than a hundred or so entries.  Even 100 or so entries is a pain in
the ass to manage, hence the origination of DNS.

Until last year, I had the pleasure to work in a environment that didn't
have DNS and relied exclusively on hosts files.  You soon find out that
Sendmail really doesn't like not having a name server to query against.  I
mean really really doesn't like.  Doubtless other MTA's share this same
behavior.