[PLUG] RE: Re: Internal DNS

Ed Sawicki ed at alcpress.com
Mon Mar 29 21:11:02 UTC 2004

Keith Morse wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Chris Penwell wrote:
>

>>>Is there a way to serve "domainless" name resolution so that a host
>>>"foo" can resolve to an address or do I use a domain zonefile and rely
>>>on the "search" parameter of the clients to add the domain name?
>>
>>the only domainless way I'm aware of is thru host files and keeping them
>>up to date is problematic.

Creating "domainless" names in DNS is easy. I created the names
moe, larry, and curly on a DNS server. Here's the results with
the unimportant parts of the dig output snipped:

# dig @ns1.alcpress.com moe.
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      moe, type = A, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
moe.                    1H IN A         208.151.249.202

# dig @ns1.alcpress.com larry.
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      larry, type = A, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
larry.                  1H IN A         208.151.249.203

# dig @ns1.alcpress.com curly.
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      curly, type = A, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
curly.                  1H IN A         208.151.249.204

Of course, this is the easy part. The harder part is convincing
your DNS resolver that a name like "moe" is fully-qualified
and not in need of "fixing". Sometimes, the RFCs are a curse.

Any chance of getting y'all in one of my DNS classes?

Ed