[PLUG] Knoppix file delete

Geoff Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Mon Mar 29 21:17:01 UTC 2004

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Michael Montagne wrote:

> I need to delete some pesky trojan files from Win2000(ntfs) using
> Knoppix.  I can successfully do "mount -oremount,rw /dev/hda1" but
> when I try and delete the files I get "Operation not permitted".  I
> changed the permissions to 777 and still the same.  How can I get rid
> of these guys?

The part of the ntfs file module that supports writing files to the FS
is marked VERY EXPERIMENTAL. When I was experimenting with this feature
about a year ago, I found I could not delete files. I did some research
(there's a NTFS web forum that I found with Goodle), followed the
instructions I found there (IIRC, one had to mount the file system
twice, & then one could cp/mv/rm files in the NTFS space), & I still could
not get it to work. (The developers were trying to keep this functionality
out of the hands of small children, but succeeded in keeping it out of
practically everyone's hands. At the time, I wasn't worried about data
loss, & the warned data loss would have simply been something I could
have entertained my boss with.)

If I had the time, I would have poked deeper into this mystery, but
since I knew how to do what I wanted in other ways, I dropped this line of
experimentation.

Since what you are doing is very risky, why not simplify matters by simply
copying all of the files you want to a non-MS filesystem, burn them to one
or more CDs, then wipe & reinstall the system, & copy those files over? I
suspect (sadly) that this is what you will end up doing.

Geoff