[PLUG] IT Offshore Mania

John Telford john at johntelford.com
Tue Mar 30 09:25:02 UTC 2004

Unfortunately, Linux jobs aren't immune from being shipped offshore.

I'm going out on a limb and prophetize that IT offshore mania will soon
come back and severely bite many companies. Unplanned consequences of
intellectual property and trade secrets being ripped off will sting. In
some cases, the bite will be lethal.

The real pain will come when the back doors planted in returning
offshore software are remotely opened by lunatics hiding in caves or
spider holes somewhere in the world. A simple mouse click or push of a
button could render the victim company instantly broke and with empty
disks and databases.

Far fetched you say. Consider this. Most IT groups that aren't yet
pounding the pavement looking for work because of IT offshore mania,
spend precious little time walking through and inspecting software. When
IT offshore mania hits, the expensive programmers with years of
experience are likely shown the door first. After all, the rational of
IT offshore is cutting expenses.

So who's going to walk through and inspect returning offshore software
looking for devious back doors? The boss? I don't think so. It takes
skill and time for understanding software written by others. Few in
today's IT industry have the skill or the time. Those who may have the
skill are probably pounding the pavement because of IT offshore mania.

...John

John Telford - Owner - JohnTelford.com LLC
503-292-6865 - fax: 503-292-3094
Email: john at johntelford.com   Weblog:      ITnews.johntelford.com
  Web:  www.johntelford.com    Links: lotsoflinks.johntelford.com