[PLUG] Fedora Test problems (was: cooking with gas)

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue Mar 30 11:52:02 UTC 2004

Russell Senior writes:

> Hi folks, I noticed that Fedora Core 2 Test 2 was released today, so I
> naively decided it was time to bootup the fedora option on my
> treble-boot (fedora/debian/gentoo) crashbox and see if I could update
> it.
> So, it looks like I hosed things but good.  Not that I lost anything
> important, this was just a crashbox to try things out on, but
> definitely a violation of the "least astonishment" principle.  Is
> fedora supposed to upgrade in place like debian, because at least in
> this case it didn't for me.  ;-) If so, how?  Also, is my botch
> recoverable in any practical manner or should I punt to new iso's?

Russ:

FC2T2 should probably be installed on its own disk, and probably will
not upgrade well.  This is pre-alpha code, and compatability with past
and future versions receives no attention at all.  The only thing they
expect to work is upgrades from FC1 release to FC2 release.

Given recent traffic on the fedora-test list, I suspect Fedora Core 2
Test 2 is extremely hosed.  *LOTS* of people cannot even manage to do
a clean install on a plain vanilla FC1-proven machine from distro disks.
And the help they are getting amounts to "you are stupid".

I posted a hundred line rant about testing mis-management on the test
list ( which is probably another reason not to read it :-) ) but I will
not subject you to it here.  While I like the way Redhat/Fedora does
a lot of things, the testing process may be broken.  Unless you want
to put up with a lot of bugs and a lot of abuse, you should avoid it.

In the larger sense, the 2.6 transition does not seem to be going well,
and we are getting a large influx of computer users from Windoze these
days.  So a lot of the old hands are stressed out, and are turning into
YASholes (YAS="you are stupid").   Maybe we should plan something fun
to help us chill out.

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom           keithl at ieee.org         Voice (503)-520-1993