[PLUG] How dangerous is handling my own mail?

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Tue Mar 30 13:23:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 12:57, Eric House wrote:
> I just opened up port 25 on my firewall and configured exim so that
> mail sent to me at my (zoneedit-DNS'd) host would reach me on that
> box.  Cool!  Then I shut the port again because I have the general
> impression that handling mail is a lot harder to do safely than
> serving up web pages and the like.
>
> Is that impression correct?

If it isn't configured properly, yes... it is fairly dangerous.  But if
it reasonably configured (and tested) I don't see too much risk.  I've
been handling my own mail for quite a while now and haven't had anything
bad happen :::knock on wood::: ...no spam sent through it, no DoS
attacks, no exploits exploited.

Rob