[PLUG] SPF records in DNS zone files

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Tue Mar 30 15:17:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Russ Johnson wrote:

> My kids and my girlfriend live elsewhere in Oregon, and have a
> different connection to the net. They have email addresses on my
> server, and pick up from mail.dimstar.net.
>
> However, due to restrictions, they must send through the provider
> they are connected to. So their dimstar.net email will come from a
> centurytel.net mail server.

I don't know what restrictions are in place on the centurytel.net
network, but they're typically limited to outbound port-25 sessions.

If so, have you investigated opening the msa (587/tcp) port and
configuring your mail server to accept/relay only authenticated users
on that port?

That's the way I have my mail server setup at home. Others can send
through it by using SMTP AUTH over SSL. Most mainstream mail clients,
Eudora and Outlook included, will support AUTH and SSL.

That way, all dimstar.net mail could be relayed via the official
dimstar.net mail server.

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>