[PLUG] How dangerous is handling my own mail?

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Tue Mar 30 18:30:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Paul Johnson wrote:
> Eric House <fixin at peak.org> writes:
> > I just opened up port 25 on my firewall and configured exim so that
> > mail sent to me at my (zoneedit-DNS'd) host would reach me on that
> > box.  Cool!  Then I shut the port again because I have the general
> > impression that handling mail is a lot harder to do safely than
> > serving up web pages and the like.
>
> Yes, it is.  However, if nothing else, make sure you are never an open
> relay.

Oh, right... make sure you never provide that kind of a useful public
service, else some people will block all mail from you and make so that
others block mail from you as well.

Pardon the sarcasm, but it should be infinitely clear to everyone by now
that closing relays hasn't done anything to decrease the amount of spam.
It's just made it harder to send mail from outside your home network.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net