[PLUG] Running Linux off a USB drive?

Chris Jantzen chris at maybe.net
Tue Mar 30 18:48:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 04:05:38PM -0700, Matt Alexander wrote:
> > I'm "doing" (translation: not done) it with my own config of
> > Debian. So far, I find the hardest part is getting the bootloader to
> > work right. After that, it's pretty breezy. Personally, I'm going with
> > the "big fat initrd" approach, because that avoids excessive flash
> > writes/reads.
>
> You'll probably want to mount your filesystems with noatime too.

Well, not in this case. Read carefully: I'm going with a huge initrd
to avoid excessive flash writes/reads. In other words I load the
entire operating system into RAM and never touch the flash again. (Or,
if I wanted persistancy, rsync it back or something.) So, noatime
doesn't really matter.

--
chris kb7rnl =->