[PLUG] How dangerous is handling my own mail?

Ian Burrell ian at znark.com
Tue Mar 30 19:01:02 UTC 2004

Jeme A Brelin wrote:

> Certainly not when everyone else's relays are closed.
>
> But what's the harm in some of your bandwidth being used for spam when it
> is also being used for legitimate email?
>
> We're not going to beat spam by locking down every mailserver in the
> world.  That's just an absurd notion.  Better to open up our servers and
> beat the spam by potentially effective means.

The problem is that open relays are used much more by spammers than
legitimate email.

How many people use open relays to send legitimate email when
travelling?  I suspect very few.  Most people just use their provider's
  server with SMTP AUTH.  Or they use the local server.  Or they use
webmail.  I don't know of anyone who keeps track of public open relays
and uses those when they need to.  Not to mention the big problem is
ISPs that block outgoing SMTP; an open relay doesn't help with that.

  - Ian

ian at znark.com
http://www.znark.com/