[PLUG] On hosing the kernel

Robert Kopp iconoklastic at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 31 22:56:02 UTC 2004

I seem to have a slight problem. I have a Logitech
Quickcam 3000 which works under Linux, but requires a
compressor module for maximum performance. The source
code for this module (pwcx.o) is not available; you
just have to download it for the right combination of
kernel version and compiler.

The closest match I could get with my kernel version
(2.4.21) was one for 2.4.23. Insmod complained about
it. If it won't fit, use a bigger hammer:

insmod -f pwcx.o

And the performance of the Webcam was good. While I
was browsing the Web, however, my system locked up,
and required a hard reboot. Then, when I rebooted the
kernel was unable to load any modules.

(I tried making another kernel, but apparently the
damage is too extensive to be repaired in this way.
Probably transferring the data from the installation
is the best I can do.

Linux has been making impressive strides toward the
desktop. But to secure good performance from one of
the most popular Web cams, it takes a diligent search
for a module and a kernel compilation. With Windows,
it's a five-minute download.)

=====
Robert "Tim" Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com/