[PLUG] Cisco certification... question & response

Michael Robinson plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Sat May 1 13:05:03 UTC 2004

Russell Senior wrote:

>Jeme> Wow.  The word is "facetious".  You got the first and last two
>Jeme> letters right.
>
>Although not really directly applicable, this reminded me of an
>interesting post from back in April.  See, e.g.:
>
>  <http://stage.itp.nyu.edu/~jn429/cambscramb/>
>
>Thanks to Chaz Sliger.

Thank you.  What are the best Linux lists?   I want to avoid
further rants against my writing, etc., like this most recent one
in the Cisco thread.

I did a search on Linux user group and choosing  Oregon
found five, of which this is one of them.  I think there's a
special procedure for getting on bizniz.  I don't know about
the Linux mailing lists for the other regions in the state, they
all seem to be for Western Oregon which is probably part
of what my problem is.  If a mailing list were hosted in Eastern
Oregon, I bet I wouldn't be having anywhere near as much
trouble as I am.

What research has been done on how much Linux mailing lists
are used and how important they are verses alternative methods
of learning about Linux including: newsgroups, books,
courses, etc?  Is there a good Linux mailing list review to help me
find one that is going to be better for me?  Do I need to use news
groups?  I tried IRC, but I didn't get a definitive sense on whether
or not it is more useful than email lists.

An aside, the behavior of Mike Rasmussen, Jeme Brelin, Athlon
Rob, and others who decide to behave similarly would probably
make for an interesting psychological study.  By and large, do
people forget common decency in email and on the telephone?
Some studies suggest a significant number of people don't get it
when they're on the phone even in large public crowds that
everyone around them hears the conversation.

Apparently, there is a failure to realize that the phone and email are
by and large as public as strolling through a residential neighborhood
shouting out loud.  There are reasons to seek Linux connections in
your local vicinity, especially if you want to be part of getting Linux
adopted locally.  I don't want to make the mistake of being
stopped by local discrimination and petty bickering.

I truly hope that noone extends the Cisco rants any further.

     --  Michael Robinson