[PLUG] Large Data Back-Ups to CD-R(W)

Robert McIntosh mcintoshrt at comcast.net
Sun May 2 13:59:05 UTC 2004

I'm working with a large volume of data that's closing in on 20 GB that
I'd like to back-up bi-annually to multiple CD-R(W)s.  I'm familiar with
Hugo Rabson's powerful Mondo Rescue (http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo/)
but in my particular environment (FreeBSD) it seems to be a real push to
configure the prerequisite packages into FreeBSD.

Tar and gzip do the job just fine but with the large amount of data and
the comparatively small amount of burnable space it seems I need to do a
fair amount of checking directory size and subsequently compressed
archive size prior to burning to be sure that I'm not over-extending the
recordable CD.

Is there a more scriptable way to do this?  I suspect tar, gzip, and
split (as one pipe) may be a possibility, but I'm unfamiliar with split.

I'm hoping someone has had the same experience and worked towards a
solution.

Thanks!
Robert
mcintoshrt at comcast.net