[PLUG] Re: Parental management of teenage boys on Internet

Dylan Reinhardt lists at dylanreinhardt.com
Mon May 3 09:12:02 UTC 2004

In the interest of knowing the enemy... :-)

On Sun, 2 May 2004 13:29:57, Matt Alexander <m at phxlinux.org> wrote:
> The amusing thing about Windows XP is that you can turn on your computer
> after adding a wireless NIC and it will automatically lock on to the
> strongest signal, which may or may not be your own wireless access point.

XP will detect available networks, but XP *will not* connect to a
WEP-less WiFi network until you specifically allow it and *does* keep
tabs on previously used networks, giving them priority for connection.

IMO, XP's pushing WEP so hard is really annoying... but it's the
*opposite* of their more typical networking promiscuity.

> I wonder how many Windows users are actually using their neighbor's
> bandwidth without even realizing it.

Very close to none, I'd wager.

Perhaps some have inadvertently connected to the wrong "Linksys" network
or failed to realize that they flubbed their WAP setup.  But it's
doubtful.  The standard CD-driven cable-based installation process makes
such problems virtually impossible.

As for *intentional* piggybacking, that's another thing entirely... :-)

FWIW,

Dylan