[PLUG] Who repairs monitors around town?

Wally Wharton wally at walstr.org
Mon May 3 22:39:06 UTC 2004

On Mon, 3 May 2004, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

:
: Wally Wharton wrote:
: > I have a 17" flat screen CRT monitor, barely a year old, that has lost
: > its vertical control.  I've sent it back to the manufacturer to be
: > repaired once, but two months after the repair, the vertical is shot
: > again.
:

I only vaguely described the symptoms above.  The picture began to
flicker for a few days, on and off, during which time a sharp whack to
the rear of the monitor case seemed to return it to the correct path.
After a few days, however, the vertical just threw in the towell,
leaving me with an entire screen full of picture in a bright
horizontal line in the middle of the screen.

: While it may indeed be the monitor, you should also try replacing the
: video cable and VGA board that drives the monitor.  You would get the
: same effect (no vertical synchronization, slowly rolling video) if either
: of those were intermittent, or the connectors were making bad contact,
: so that pin 14 (vertical sync) was not always connected.

Though I didn't change the video cable, as it was firmly attached to
the monitor, I did change video cards with no change in results.
Also, while the monitor was in the warranty return purgatory, I made
do with an older monitor I dusted off from the garage, with no
performance problem.

Given these new facts, does this still sound like a vertical sync
problem?  I really don't know, so I'm grateful for the collective
expertise of the PLUG list.

Thanks for your help, Keith.

Wally