[PLUG] RJ45 to Coax adapter?

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Thu May 6 14:58:02 UTC 2004

Sasha Romanosky <sasha_romanosky at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have recently moved into a new apartment and need to have ethernet run
> to a separate room that shares a wall with the room that has it.
>
> The previous tenant drilled a hole and fed a coax cable through the
> wall. If I could find an RJ45-to-Coax (type "F"?) adapter I could just
> use this.
>
> I could go wireless or drill another hole, but I'd rather not. I checked
> with fry's and found all kinds of adapters and converters but not this.
> Does anyone know if such an adapter exists?

As Alan mentioned, the only feasible way to make use of the coax is to
use it as a 10Base2 segment.  It should be noted that the coax is almost
certainly the wrong impedance.  Cable TV coax is 75 ohms, whereas 10Base2
uses 50 ohm coax.  If the run is short and you use 75 ohm terminators, it
would probably work anyway.  That said, I think you would be much better
off using the coax to pull through a piece of cat5.

galen