[PLUG] Webmail server suggestions

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Thu May 6 18:01:03 UTC 2004

On Thu, 6 May 2004, Paul Johnson wrote:
> AthlonRob <AthlonRob at axpr.net> writes:
> > On Thu, 2004-05-06 at 13:44, Michael Robinson wrote:
> >
> >> I've tried qmail, Postfix seems easier, Sendmail is a headache and
> >> insecure, don't know about Exim.
>
> Exim is pretty hard to mis-configure into an open relay. The default
> config is secure.

The openness of your relay has nothing to do with the security of your
mailserver.

> > Sendmail isn't insecure if it is configured properly.
>
> There's critical warnings about sendmail security more often than
> Windows, and was a principal cause of the Great Worm of 1988.  I don't
> consider sendmail secure.

Phew... 1988?  You sure can hold a grudge.

I've been running sendmail for a very long time and none of my systems
have ever been compromised.

> > Sounds almost like as much of a PITA for the sender as CR spam systems.
> >
> > Yeah.  Nice.
>
> No kidding...that's just more trouble than it's worth.

I'm just stunned that one would be expected to with whom one would like to
communicate before the communication takes place.

I suppose if you're extremely close-minded and only accept ideas that you
already know you're going to accept (like, say, a religious person), then
it makes sense... otherwise, it's lunacy.

> For the sake of sanity, one email per user, and for system roles, one
> email per role.  Nobody really needs more than that, just needs to get
> better at email management.

Oh, I don't know about that.  I use multiple roles (mail addresses) for my
personal stuff.  There's lots of good reasons.

At one time I considered using plus-addresses for mailing lists (and I'm
kind of surprised more people don't), but then God created procmail and it
is good.

> Don't punish your correspondents just because you're a lazy bastard
> uninterested in solving your own problems.

It's neither his laziness nor his disinterest but his misunderstanding of
the problems and his unwillingness to acknowledge the viability of
existing solutions.

I don't have a spam problem and I get hundreds of them every day.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net