[PLUG] RJ45 to Coax adapter?

Paul Johnson baloo at ursine.ca
Fri May 7 10:57:02 UTC 2004

Michael Robinson <plug_0 at robinson-west.com> writes:

> a total of seven rooms, six plus the server room.  It's best if you
> run multiple cables together all at once though one of the problems
> I ran into running Cat-5 off a spool is that I would have needed to
> premeasure and pre cut.

No, you don't.  I've run cable before, you put your spool box down by
the hole you're running the cable from, and pull it through the walls
to where you're going using fishtape, then once you've secured the end
of the cable, go pull the excess slack out, make your cut, and throw
on the connectors.  It's pretty botch-proof if you know how to use a
crimper and fishtape.

> Don't run standard Cat-5 through ducting unless you like
> hydrochloric acid, etc.

??

> I think Ethernet wires run at somewhere close to 300-400 volts, get
> shocked once and you'll probably never touch a live ethernet wire
> again.

I've handled live ethernet wire before.  Never shocked.  Only time I
got shocked was when I was running ethernet cable, and some jackass
decided to test out an etherkiller on the opposite end of the line I
was working on.  That hurt like hell.  No equipment was damaged, save
for my hand and temporarily tripping the breaker the outlet was on
that I unwittingly shorted with a crimper.

> Cat 5 has to do with the number of twists per foot.

Not exclusively.  Number of wires also factors in.  Category 3 cable
is 4-strand wire, and commonly uses RJ-11 connectors (aka a phone
cord).  As opposed to Catagory 5's 8-strand cord, commonly used with
RJ-45 connectors (aka an Ethernet cable)

--
Paul Johnson
<baloo at ursine.ca>