[PLUG] Virus Scanning Within A Java App'?

Jason Van Cleve jason at vancleve.com
Fri May 7 14:19:02 UTC 2004

Anyone know of an antivirus library for Java?  We have an odd
requirement for a Web service in development:  we are to scan all
incoming messages for virii, within our Java application.

Well, I think this is probably the wrong architecture altogether,
personally.  Which renders my question twofold.  First, is there even a
usable Java library available for this; and second, what would be the
alternative?  If we can convince our client that we should not be virus
scanning in Java, within our application, we might get this requirement
changed.  But I'll need to make a strong case.

Couldn't we run a *nix daemon of some sort, configured to listen to our
Web ports, scan all requests and relay a modified stream to the Web
server on different ports, or so?  That daemon would only need to flag
messages as infected (an HTTP header will do), so that our application
can respond with an appropriate error.

--Jason Van Cleve

--
"I drank what?" -- Socrates