[PLUG] RJ45 to Coax adapter?

Paul Johnson baloo at ursine.ca
Sat May 8 00:57:02 UTC 2004

AthlonRob <AthlonRob at axpr.net> writes:

> He does sometimes need to cut live cables (with a metal knife, which
> conducts electricity) and never has received any kind of an electric
> shock from ethernet cables.  He did say he has, once or twice, cut a
> cable that was running POTS stuff when it was ringing.  He said that
> caused a mild shock, with about as much of a jolt as you get from
> sneakers on a carpet in August in Central Oregon.

I was re-running the phone lines in the walls in my first apartment
(since it had five phone outlets and only one that actually worked,
got credit from my landlord for doing it, too) at two in the morning
(too hot to sleep) and I held a couple of the wire leads in my teeth
for a second.  Well, I wasn't concerned about the ~12VDC of the phone
line under normal conditions, but I did forget about the ~90VAC that a
phone line carries when it rings.  And at that moment, someone dialed
the wrong number.  Dropped that wire instantly.  Roommate and I had a
good laugh.

--
Paul Johnson
<baloo at ursine.ca>