[PLUG] Webmail server suggestions

Michael Robinson plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Sat May 8 01:52:01 UTC 2004

>>>You falsely assume I'm a Democrat.

Then just be an American.

>>just have a hard time believing that anyone who has heard Bush
>>speak would be willing to vote for him.  The man is *incoherent*.

I have a harder time with the way you speak.

>>The Oregonian had an op-ed the other day talking about how news
>>agencies are always stuck struggling with trying to figure out if they
>>should print Bush verbatim or fix his grammar and go for the word Bush
>>was trying to say when he says something not in the dictionary.
>>There's some press conferences the president holds that nobody gets
>>anything press-worthy from because the President just doesn't seem to
>>be able to make sense.

Hunh, I get the Oregonian and don't remember that column.

>>One version of AOL was known as the "upgrade of death" by many users who
>>tried it.

Isn't this a bit overstated already?!?!!?

>AOL 5.0.  I was doing tech support for Excite at Home at the time, and
>there just didn't seem to be a way to use both an ethernet connection
>and AOL for Broadband at the same time, ironically enough.
>

>>Also, it has had one of the worst mail programs on the face of the planet.
>>(One of the reasons that AOL users were viewed as idiots (other than
>>acting like one) is that the mail client was unable to quote previous
>>messages.
>>

>And fails to do so in a reasonable manner these days, which encourage
>the stupid to make themselves glaringly obvious.

I think the definition of stupid is, "ignorant, but don't care."  This
use connotates
more of "I am upset with them, so they are stupid in my opinion."  Maybe
this is
why so much tech support went to India.  Are the Indians just plain
friendlier
than us?

>>>And that's not even getting into the dozens of reasons why AOL should
>>>never have been granted IP transit.
>>>

>>When AOL first got on Usenet, they pissed everyone off because they had a
>>bug that sent every message from AOL about eight times.
>>
>>They have never had the best reputation on the net.
>>

>It's like bit.net but worse.  AOL is strong evidence that 26 million
>Americans can be wrong.

I wonder if AOL went open source tomorrow, if this would still be said?
Some ISP's have certainly oversold their products and the software they have
provided clearly had bugs.  I would guess that AOL as an alternative to MSN
failed more because it is an alternative than any other reason.  How many
businesses are afraid that any non Microsoft product is going to be
nonviable?  AOL may not be perfect, but at least something is
compeeting with MSN.  The race isn't over Internet service now, it's
over helping people see the Internet the way they want to see it.