[PLUG] X, framebuffers, 2.6 and voodoo (cards)

E. Rogan Creswick creswick at cs.orst.edu
Sat May 8 21:18:02 UTC 2004

 > Jeme> Anybody ever used a Voodoo2 add-on card before?

Yep. They were "the bomb" about 6 years ago.  If you had two they
would daisy-chain and do SLI (single-line interleave) which was
actually pretty nice (even with just one it was a very nice card,
IMHO).

<snip>

 > On the other hand, you might still be able to use DooDoo2.  I recall
 > the word "glide" used.  See, e.g.:
 >
 >    <http://www.xfree86.org/4.3.0/glide.4.html>

Glide is the correct buzzword.  This is the howto I used years back to
get my voodoo2 working: (The linux 3dfx howto, available at many
places)

http://www.gamers.org/dEngine/xf3D/howto/3Dfx-HOWTO.html

Although, now there is a not that this howto is outdated, with some
links: "See glide.xxedgexx.com for more recent info, and use
news.3dfx.com for inquiries."

Russell is probably right in that you can ignore the voodoo card, and
go straight to the i740 (wire it that way--of course you won't get
acceleration off the voodoo, although the i740 does do "decent"
openGL for that time period).   You may also be able to leave the
voodoo patch cable in place and use the i740 directly.

If you do get it going, it should perform well enough to play some
semi-recent games (UT, for example, which has been ported).

-Rogan