[PLUG] RJ45 to Coax adapter?

Geoff Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Sun May 9 12:34:01 UTC 2004

On Sat, 8 May 2004, Paul Johnson wrote:

> AthlonRob <AthlonRob at axpr.net> writes:
>
> > Saying cat-5 is always 4-pair and cat-3 is always 2-pair is like saying
> > all vehicles on the road have four wheels...
>
> Actually, more like all cars have four wheels, all bicycles have two.

Even to say that in absolute terms is inaccurate. There have been 3-wheel
automobiles manufactured, at least until the 1950s. (One manufacturer
of these gas-burning, street-legal tricycles was Morgan, headquartered
in England & I believe is currently the largest English-owned automobile
manufacturer in England -- they produce something less than 1000 units
in a year. ISTR there were others, but for reasons below I'm sure someone
will mention who they were.)

And IIRC, there are some versions of recumbent bicycles that have 3 wheels;
yes, they are properly called _tricycles_, but you'd just annoy people &
wear yourself out correcting this usage.

My point with these OT corrections is that is always hazardous to speak
of absolutes & certainties concerning any topic. I used to say that
``unique" & pregnancy are two absolute conditions -- you either are or you
aren't -- but personal experience has proven to me that it's possible to
be ``kinda" pregnant (Google on the term ``blighted ovum" for the details).

One of the few absolutes I would now count on now -- based on my experience
on Wikipedia -- is that in any sufficiently large enough group, while
there will be people who puff up their egos by expounding incorrect
knowledge, there will also be sharp minds that will correct this
misinformation, thus deflating these egos. Unfortunately, some of these
inflated egos prove to have armoring, & prove immune to the constant
corrections.

Geoff

PS -- Rereading the above, it occurs to me that some people here may
think I'm talking about them: as I said, all of my examples concerning
inflated egos & their armoring come from Wikipedia; so if the shoe fits,
I wouldn't advertise it.