[PLUG] slackware download process????

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun May 9 13:09:01 UTC 2004

On Sun, 9 May 2004, Brian Quade wrote:

> I have been trying to figure out to download the current slackware
> distribution.

  I have the 4-cd-rom set for -9.1 and you're welcome to copies. My
preference is to support Patrick and his elves so I'm on the subscription
service. But, the distribution is certainly available to be copied.

  If you're installing on a workstation/server then you'll probably want the
ide kernel. If you're installing on a portable with pcmcia support (e.g.,
for an external cd-rom drive) then you'll want that one, too.

> The documentation also refers to a program called loadlin, but it is not
> very clear about whether loadlin is only for dos installs or if you can
> use it to install over an old (non-slackware) linux install or do a clean
> install.

 Loadlin is used to boot linux from a DOS system. You don't need it. You
also don't need rawwrite if you're working on a linux box.

  I have found Slackware to be very easy and clean to install over a prior
(RH 7.3) distribution and on brand-new machines. Oh, ... I also installed it
over a libranet installation.

  Will you be at next Saturday's WiFi Clinic? I can bring the cd-roms or I
can burn a set and bring them.

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>