[PLUG] Shared Address Books

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Mon May 10 17:18:03 UTC 2004

Hey list-

I've wanted to implement something for a while here on my home network,
I just haven't gotten around to looking at *how* to implement it until
recently.  I can't find anything that explains how to deal with shared
address books like what I'm looking for.  :-\

I'd like to start storing address books on my server in such a manner
that regardless of the email program I'm using, I can access my address
book much as I access my email (imaps).  At first, I thought LDAP was
the way to go for this... I went so far as to set up openldap (which
didn't want to compile on my old server box) before it really started to
look like it wouldn't do the trick.  Sure, it could provide a
server-side address book for me, but that book would be shared among all
the users of my server and would, by and large, be read-only.

So is there such a thing out there?  Or is it a pipe dream to be able to
share a single address book between Thunderbird or lookOut Express when
I'm using somebody else's computer, SquirrelMail when I'm on a public
computer, and Evolution or KMail here on my baby?

Surely the idea has been discussed before...  :-)

Rob