[PLUG] O'Reilly Open Source Convention "Locals Only" UG Discount (fwd)

Steve Bonds 1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com
Wed May 12 09:21:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, 12 May 2004, Alex Daniloff alex-at-daniloff.com |PDX Linux| wrote:

> What kind of insanity is this:
> > Day pass - $425
> > Convention Sessions - $895 early bird, $1095 standard
> > Exhibit hall plus keynote and BOF - $50 early bird, $75 standard

> Is this "Open Source" Convention for corporate folks or ordinary people?

I would guess based on those prices that they're targetting people with
outside funding who need to learn some of the topics quickly.  "Ordinary
people" with more time than money would be better off learning from less
costly sources (e.g. books, FAQs, mailing lists, etc.)

Charging for the exhibit hall seems a bit excessive, though.  At most
conferences I've seen this is free for anyone who would have a strong
interest and can make the trip.

  -- Steve