[PLUG] O'Reilly Open Source Convention "Locals Only" UG Discount

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed May 12 09:31:01 UTC 2004

Alex Daniloff <alex at daniloff.com> writes:

>What kind of insanity is this:
>> Day pass - $425
>> Convention Sessions - $895 early bird, $1095 standard
>> Exhibit hall plus keynote and BOF - $50 early bird, $75 standard

>Is this "Open Source" Convention for corporate folks or ordinary people?
>Probably I should think twice before buying any of O'Reilly books from now on.

This is the "convention space costs money" insanity, and the "employees
who set up conventions need to get paid" insanity.  This is not at all
out of line for professional conventions, and this convention in particular
is NOT run by volunteers.  A similar volunteer-operated conference I attend
yearly costs $700, for example.  I know they comp at least some of the
speakers.  O'Reilly does turn a small profit on this - though they lost
money as a whole last year.

If you cannot afford more, I would suggest paying $37.50 (w plug
discount) for the exhibits.  Plenty of good things to see, and good
folks to talk to, and the keynotes are plentiful and fascinating.

This is a professional conference.  I am considering purchasing a full
conference ticket, even though I'm not a professional in this field.
While not exactly a bargain, attendees get good value for money, and
O'Reilly is not gouging.  If it is not worth it to you, don't go.  If
you think conferences should be cheaper, set up one of your own.

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom           keithl at ieee.org         Voice (503)-520-1993