[PLUG] Newsletter from O'Reilly UG Program, April 29 (fwd)

David Mandel dmandel at pdxLinux.org
Wed May 12 13:35:03 UTC 2004

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 11:28:31 -0700
From: Marsee Henon <marsee at oreilly.com>
To: plug at sco302.DavidMandel.com
Subject: Newsletter from O'Reilly UG Program, April 29

O'Reilly UG Program News--Just for User Group Leaders
April 29, 2004
-O'Reilly's New & Upcoming books on your group's site
-Looking for Amazon Reviewers
-Put Up an O'Reilly Open Source Convention Banner, Get a Free Book
Book Info
***Review books are available
Copies of our books are available for your members to review--
send me an email and please include the book's ISBN number on
your request. Let me know if you need your book by a certain date.
Allow at least four weeks for shipping.

***Please send copies of your book reviews
Email me a copy of your newsletters or book reviews.
For tips and suggestions on writing book reviews, go to:
http://ug.oreilly.com/bookreviews.html

***Discount information
Don't forget to remind your members about our 20% discount on O'Reilly,
No Starch, Paraglyph, and Syngress books and conferences.
Just use code DSUG.

***Group purchases with better discounts are available
Please let me know if you are interested and I can put you in
touch with our sales department.

General News
***Want to include a list of O'Reilly's "New & Upcoming" books on your
group's site?
Here is an RSS feed that will do the trick:
http://www.oreillynet.com/meerkat/?_fl=rss10&t=ALL&c=5822

***Looking for Amazon Reviewers
Would you or your members be interested in writing reviews for Amazon?
We're always looking for avid readers who can help us out by posting their
thoughts. You can keep the books you review! Please pass this info along
to folks who might be interested. And if you don't already, please
consider posting copies of your current UG reviews on Amazon, as well as
your group's site or email list. Let me know if you need more info!

***Put Up an O'Reilly Open Source Convention Banner, Get a Free Book
We're looking for user groups to display our conference banner on their
web sites. If you send me the link to your user group site with our
O'Reilly Open Source Convention banner, I will send you the O'Reilly book
of your choice.

OSCON Conference Banners:
http://ug.oreilly.com/banners/oscon2004/

O'Reilly News for User Group Members
April 29, 2004
Book News
-Eclipse
-Learning Red Hat Enterprise Linux & Fedora, 4th Edition
-WarDriving: Drive, Detect, Defend
Upcoming Events
-Matthew Gast, ("802.11 Wireless Networks: The Definitive Guide" &
"Network Printing"), Networld+Interop, Las Vegas, NV--May 9-14
-Chuck Toporek, O'Reilly Mac editor and author ("Inside .Mac & Mac OS X
Panther in a Nutshell"), Apple Store, San Francisco, CA--May 14
Conference News
-OSCON discounts for non-UG members
-O'Reilly Open Source Convention Early Bird Discount Ends June 18
News
-Tell us what you really think--take our US catalog survey
-SafariU: Create, Customize, and Share Teaching Material
-"Hacking the Xbox" featured in "Popular Science Magazine"
-The Fuss About Gmail and Privacy: Nine Reasons Why It's Bogus
-Apocalypse 12
-Getting the Most Out of XMMS
-Profiling LAMP Applications with Apache's Blackbox Logs
-Mad Macs and the Unshredder
-BBEdit: Its Unix Support Doesn't Suck Either, Part 1
-GarageBand for the Musical Newbie
-Using Excel's Calendar Controls
-Perfect Text Editors for Coders
-Declarative Programming in Java
-New Features in VB.NET Whidbey, Part 1
-DataGrids, Improved
News From Your Peers
-Need help finding local speakers or want to be a speaker?

Book News
Did you know you can request a free book to review for your
group? Ask your group leader for more information.

For book review writing tips and suggestions, go to:
http://ug.oreilly.com/bookreviews.html

Don't forget, you can receive 20% off any O'Reilly, No Starch,
Paraglyph, or Syngress book you purchase directly from O'Reilly.
Just use code DSUG when ordering online or by phone 800-998-9938.
http://www.oreilly.com/

***Free ground shipping is available for online orders of at
least $29.95 that go to a single U.S. address. This offer
applies to U.S. delivery addresses in the 50 states and Puerto Rico.
For more details, go to:
http://www.oreilly.com/news/freeshipping_0703.html

New Releases
***Eclipse
Publisher: O'Reilly
ISBN: 0596006411
"Eclipse" is a fast-track approach to mastery of Eclipse. It's a tightly
focused book that examines all aspects of Eclipse: the menus, preferences,
views, perspectives, editors, team, and debugging methods, and how they're
used every day by thousands of developers. Eclipse covers hundreds of
techniques, from the most basic Java development to creating your own
plugin editors for the Eclipse environment. Development of practical
skills is emphasized with dozens of hands-on examples that get down to
business.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/eclipse/

Chapter 9, "Web Development," is available free online:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/eclipse/chapter/index.html

***Learning Red Hat Enterprise Linux & Fedora, 4th Edition
Publisher: O'Reilly
ISBN: 059600589X
This book provides a clear, no-nonsense introduction to the Red Hat
distribution of Linux. It takes you through installation and shows you the
key parts of the system, always with an eye toward what can go wrong and
what you need to know to get over the humps. New in this edition are
installation instructions and package updating for Red Hat Enterprise
Linux and Fedora, and information on the GRUB bootloader and the CUPS
printer system.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/learnredhatentlnx/

Chapter 10, "Connecting to the Internet," is available free online:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/learnredhatentlnx/chapter/index.html

***WarDriving: Drive, Detect, Defend
Publisher: Syngress
ISBN: 1931836035
This book educates users of wireless networks as well as those who run the
networks about the insecurities associated with wireless networking. This
effort is called WarDriving. In order to successfully WarDrive there are
hardware and software tools required. This book covers those tools, along
with cost estimates and recommendations. Since there are hundreds of
possible configurations that can be used for WarDriving, some of the most
popular are presented to help readers decide what to buy for their own
WarDriving setup. Many of the tools that a WarDriver uses are the same
tools that could be used by an attacker to gain unauthorized access to a
wireless network. Since this is not the goal of a WarDriver, the
methodology that users can use to ethically WarDrive is presented. In
addition, complete coverage of WarDriving applications, such as
NetStumbler, MiniStumbler, and Kismet, are covered.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/1931836035/

Upcoming Events
***For more events, please see:
http://events.oreilly.com/

***Matthew Gast ("802.11 Wireless Networks: The Definitive Guide" &
"Network Printing") Networld+Interop--May 9-14
Matthew presents his LAN Access Security--Wireless and Wired class for the
Interop Labs this year in Las Vegas, NV. Please make sure to visit Matthew
at the show bookstore Tuesday, May 11th 10:30am-11am and Wednesday, May
12th 5pm-5:30pm.
http://www.interop.com/

***Chuck Toporek, O'Reilly Mac editor and author ("Inside .Mac & Mac OS X
Panther in a Nutshell"), at SF Apple Store--May 14
Chuck is a special guest speaker at the San Francisco Apple Store.
http://www.apple.com/retail/sanfrancisco/

Conference News
***OSCON discounts for non-UG members.
Here is a list of the current discounts we offer in addition to our User
Group discount. Please let your friends/co-workers know! (Please Note: We
will always provide the highest possible discount. However, the following
discounts cannot be combined--this includes the UG discount. However they
can be used with the Early Bird pricing which ends June 18.)

*Company Team Discount--10% off per person if you register 3 or more
people from one company.

*Full-Time Student--65% off with proof of status, a copy of ID & class
schedule.

*Academic Instructor--50% off with proof of full time academic instructor
status on organization letterhead.

*Academic Staff--25% off with proof of full time academic employee status
on organization letterhead.

*Federal Government Discount--10% off with proof of agency connection.

*Alumni--Have you attended one of our O'Reilly conferences? If so, you are
eligible for a 20% alumni discount.

For more discount information, or to register with these discounts, go
to:
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/pub/w/29/register.html

***O'Reilly Open Source Convention Early Bird Discount Ends June 18
User Group members who register before June 18, 2004 get a double
discount. Use code DSUG when you register, and you'll get 20% off the
"Early Bird" price.

To register, go to:
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/os2004/create/ord_os04

O'Reilly Open Source Convention
Portland Marriott Downtown
Portland, OR
July 26-30, 2004
http://conferences.oreilly.com/oscon/

News From O'Reilly & Beyond
---------------------
General News
---------------------
***Tell us what you really think--take our US catalog survey
We'd like to get your feedback about how you use our US catalog.
We've got an online survey posted that takes about 5-8 minutes to
complete.
We'd really appreciate your input. And you can enter to win our new
"History of Programming Languages" poster.
Thanks for your help.
http://www.zoomerang.com/recipient/survey-intro.zgi?p=WEB2GXTFYX9H

***SafariU: Create, Customize, and Share Teaching Material
Are you a teacher or trainer? Looking for a way to truly customize your
course textbook and offer students exactly the material you choose to
teach, while saving them a good bit of money? Become a SafariU beta tester
and check out the new web-based publishing platform from O'Reilly that
allows you to create custom textbooks and online syllabi.
http://academic.oreilly.com/safariu-more.csp

To see SafariU in action, register to join SafariU's developers for a
live webcast:
https://secure.commpartners.com/eventmanager/form.php?user=OReilly&id=1

***"Hacking the Xbox" featured in "Popular Science Magazine"
Read the article featuring Andrew "bunnie" Huang's book on their site:
http://www.popsci.com/popsci/computers/article/0,12543,611099,00.html

Hacking the Xbox: An Introduction to Reverse Engineering
Publisher: No Starch Press
ISBN: 1593270291
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/1593270291/

***The Fuss About Gmail and Privacy: Nine Reasons Why It's Bogus
Tim says in his current weblog "There's been a lot of fuss about the
privacy implications of gmail, but the benefits far outweigh the
drawbacks."
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/4707

---------------------
Open Source
---------------------
***Apocalypse 12
Larry Wall writes, "Some people will be surprised to hear it, but Perl is
a minimalist language at heart." Here he explains how objects and classes
are supposed to work in Perl 6.
http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2004/04/16/a12.html

Join Larry and Damian Conway this July in Portland for their OSCON
session on Perl 6.
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/os2004/view/e_sess/5046

***Getting the Most Out of XMMS
XMMS (X Multimedia System), available with just about every Linux distro,
is simple enough to use, yet many users fail to reach below the surface
and take advantage of its many capabilities. In this article, Rickford
Grant takes you from the basics of using XMMS to its more advanced
features, such as creating playlists, playing Internet radio broadcast
streams, and more. Rickford is the author of "Linux for Non-Geeks" from
No Starch Press.
http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/04/15/xmms_tips.html

Linux for Non-Geeks
A Hands-On, Project-Based, Take-It-Slow, and Have-Some-Fun Guidebook
Publisher: No Starch Press
ISBN: 1593270348
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/1593270348/

***Profiling LAMP Applications with Apache's Blackbox Logs
Benchmarking LAMP sites can be tricky; how do you know which pages or
applications need tuning? Fortunately, you can easily tune your Apache
logs to provide more useful profiling information. Chris Josephes explains
a Blackbox log format for Apache http.
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/apache/2004/04/22/blackbox_logs.html

---------------------
Mac
---------------------
***Mad Macs and the Unshredder
Maybe Apple Computer should avoid all that nasty litigation with Apple
Corps and simply change its name. How about Mad Macs? Michael Swaine
thinks outside of the music box.
http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2004/04/27/swaine.html

***BBEdit: Its Unix Support Doesn't Suck Either, Part 1
In this first article of a two-part series, Kevin O'Malley introduces you
to BBEdit's Unix support features. He also includes a nifty hack for
listing the songs on your iPod, copying songs from your iPod to iTunes,
and playing a song in iTunes--all from within BBEdit.
http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2004/04/27/bbedit_pt1.html

***GarageBand for the Musical Newbie
If you don't play an instrument but you have a good ear, a G4 laptop, and
GarageBand, can you create an interesting song? Giles Turnbull explores.
Whether you're a maestro or a newbie, you'll be able to turn inspiration
into demos with the help of O'Reilly's upcoming "GarageBand: The
Missing Manual."
http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2004/04/20/garageband.html

---------------------
Windows
---------------------
***Using Excel's Calendar Controls
Entering dates incorrectly in an Excel spreadsheet can affect
calculations, charts, or pivot tables based on those dates. Dave and Raina
Hawley, authors of "Excel Hacks," show how to use the standard Calendar
Control to make dates easy for users to enter and to ensure that the dates
are entered correctly. They also show how to use an Advanced Calendar
Control to add or subtract days, weeks, or months from within a calendar.
http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2004/04/27/excelhacks.html

Excel Hacks
ISBN: 059600625X
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/excelhks/

***Perfect Text Editors for Coders
Tired of wimpy and all-but-useless Notepad and WordPad? Get the three best
text editors on the planet with special features for coders--and they're
all free or shareware.
http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2004/04/20/editors.html

---------------------
Java
---------------------
***Declarative Programming in Java
JSR-175 introduces Java annotations, a means of attaching metadata to your
Java classes. Narayanan Jayaratchagan looks at how annotations work in
J2SE 1.5 and the many ways in which they can be used.
http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2004/04/21/declarative.html

---------------------
.NET
---------------------
***New Features in VB.NET Whidbey, Part 1
Microsoft has recently released the Community Preview of the next Visual
Studio .NET, Whidbey. One of the enhancements in Whidbey is the new,
improved VB.NET language. Wei-Meng Lee shows you what's in store with the
new
language.features.http://www.ondotnet.com/pub/a/dotnet/2004/04/26/vbnet20_pt1.html

***DataGrids, Improved
In Jesse Liberty's book "Programming ASP.NET," he was unable to begin the
discussion of DataGrids without first describing, in some detail, the
ADO.NET object model, including DataAdapters, DataTables, DataSets and
DataReaders. In this, the first column on Whidbey, he shows how to use
Whidbey's new ASP.NET DataGrids.
http://www.ondotnet.com/pub/a/dotnet/2004/04/19/liberty.html

Programming ASP.NET, 2nd Edition
ISBN: 0596004877
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/progaspdotnet2/index.html

News From Your Peers
***Need help finding local speakers or want to be a speaker?
Check out the O'Reilly User Group wiki site for help:

UGSuggestions
http://wiki.oreillynet.com/usergroups/null?UGSuggestions

UGNeeds
http://wiki.oreillynet.com/usergroups/null?UGNeeds