[PLUG] Perl LWP... viewing POST data to server

Matt Alexander lug at phxlinux.org
Wed May 12 15:40:03 UTC 2004

On Wed, 12 May 2004, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Matt>   There's just something screwy that LWP
> Matt> is doing with the POST that breaks things for certain specific cases...
>
> There's HTTP::Proxy, that can sit in between your post and the
> server.  There's also always "ethereal", which I've used on more
> than one occasion to really see the bits.

Ethereal to the rescue.  Thanks, Randal.
The character 'ü' needs to be encoded as '%FC' when sent to the server.
If I send the 'ü' in my LWP POST then it's encoded as '%C3%BC'.
If I instead send the '%FC' in my LWP POST then it's encoded as '%25FC'.
It would be nice if I could somehow turn off any LWP encoding of the POST
altogether.  Maybe this is possible?

So then I added "use utf8" to my script and the POST is encoded correctly,
but it's broken several parts of my script and caused lots of strange
behavior.  Sigh...

Thanks,
~M