[PLUG] Email Legal Issues

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Thu May 13 18:07:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 17:49, Jason Van Cleve wrote:
> Simple question for anyone who knows Internet law:  when, and for whom,
> generally, is it legal to intercept and read an email message, that was
> not intended for that person's eyes?  I'm in a trivial debate, so I'm
> looking for the summary answer.

I'm not a lawyer, and definitely am not an ACLU fan, but I read an
article by an ACLU goon a few months ago (which I have since thrown away
when cleaning out old papers) that outlined this.  As I recall, it
stated you are allowed, by law, to view personal emails stored on a
system, but *not* personal emails traveling *through* a system.

Again, IANAL and I really don't remember the whole thing for sure.  But
Google might be able to locate the article for you.

Rob