[PLUG] SPF filtering for smtp severs...

Michael Robinson plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Sat May 15 17:41:02 UTC 2004

Michael Rasmussen wrote:

>On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 09:08:37PM -0700, Michael Robinson wrote:
>

>>I've looked through the archives...  It appears that I'm the first one
>>to discuss SPF.
>>Can anyone point me out more specifically in case I've missed it?
>>

>http://lists.pdxlinux.org/pipermail/plug/2004-March/thread.html
>  or
>http://lists.pdxlinux.org/pipermail/plug/2004-March/030871.html
>for the first message in the thread.
>
>Aside to webmaster:  is pdxlinux.org blocking robots?  A google for
>	spf site:pdxlinux.org
>only returns one link:
>  http://lists.pdxlinux.org/pipermail/plug/2003-October/023949.html

Thanks.  I think the SPF filter just marks you mail and that
spamassassin has to
process the markings.  Anyone upgrading their spamassassin?

I  must say that I'm amazed by the some of the flaming over this.  I hope it
quiets down.  The SMTP protocol is troubled by it's inherent weaknesses.
The fact that it's so hard to know where something is really coming from
results in filtering being overused and over strained.

One note, I believe their are ways to make SPF more leanient for sources
that should be able to relay through you.  There is SRS.  I still think
a better solution is to set up additional mailsites though for remote
locations.

I think my SPF record is good to go.  Unfortunately, my attempt to bring a
second server up using Raid 1 with a spare instead of Raid 5 failed.  I
really want to get my primary outside server back up.

     --  Michael Robinson