[PLUG] Setting Up WEP Key

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat May 15 18:39:02 UTC 2004

  I've googled without finding the answer to my questions about setting up a
WEP key for the SOHO WiFi portion of the network. The LinkSys/Cisco WAP is
configured (thanks to Russell and Kurt), and the Orinoco Gold card worked
immediately in the IBM ThinkPad 600E (when '/etc/rc.d/rc.pcmcia start' was
run).

  From what I've read, the KEY="..." line goes in wireless.opts on the
portable (it's running Slackware-9.1) and in the appropriate place on the
wireless hub.

  But, how to select a WEP key? Do I just pick any 12 (or so) hex pairs? Is
there any rhyme or reason to selecting a key that will be as secure as any
other in a very low volume (1 portable, not on all the time) environment?

  I also have a question about WAP placement. On my computer desk in the
office I have a bookshelf. If I put the WAP on the top shelf it's surrounded
on two sides by the particle board side and back. Do I need a box or
something to raise the antennae above the verticals? The portables will be
used the den (about 30 feet as the radio waves fly through walls) and,
possibly, the back yard if it's ever nice enough (but not too light to see
the LCD screen). My searches on the Web have yielded all sorts of hits but
nothing pertinent to these two questions.

TIA,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>