[PLUG] Dumb question about Linksys wireless card

Derek Loree drl at drloree.com
Sun May 16 00:15:02 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-15 at 21:50, Mike Layne wrote:
> I set up Debian test mode without the pcmcia wireless ethernet adapter
> in the slot.  How do I get it recognize so I can browse from the living
> room?

You need to modify /etc/network/interfaces to include the wireless
extensions for the pcmcia card.  Things like:

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
    address 192.168.100.100
    network 192.168.100.0
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    broadcast 192.168.100.255
    gateway 192.168.100.1
    wireless_mode managed
    wireless_essid mywifinetwork
    wireless_key 2974385d349d38ad15f444cfec
    wireless_channel 7

Change to suit your needs, you should be able to just plug in the
wireless card, and find out what interface name was assigned to it by
looking in /var/log/syslog.

Good Luck,

Derek Loree