[PLUG] rotating firewalls

Steve Bonds 1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com
Tue May 18 22:09:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, 18 May 2004, Chris Penwell romanmir-at-comcast.net |PDX Linux|
wrote:

> 	So, how would a (primarily) desktop Linux person go about setting up a
> firewall to allow certain ports to be open during certain parts of the day,
> while allowing other ports to remain open all of the time.

> 	I want to allow the land lord's wife access to the 'net, while severely
> throttling my roommate's excessive kazaa usage. All while maintaining some
> resemblance of household order.

Rather than trying for time-of-day limitations, you could make use of one
or more of the linux Quality of Service packages.  If you're using a linux
box as your firewall this should be pretty easy.

http://www.linuxforum.com/linux-bandwidth-limit/cbq.html

This allows you to limit Kazaa to whatever data rate you'd like while
allowing other protocols to speed ahead.

  -- Steve