[PLUG] 3D graphics on SiS 300 and Gentoo

Evan Heidtmann clydefrog at adnap.no-ip.com
Thu May 20 18:50:02 UTC 2004

I have been working on getting 3D graphics working on my system for a
while. Now, glxinfo reports:

direct rendering: Yes

But glxgears does not display any gears (just a black box). It does spit
out rather high FPS's (~415). Before, when glxinfo was reporting "No",
glxgears displayed gears, but at about 200FPS.

My card is an SIS 300/305 plugged in an AGP slot. lspci says this about
it:

0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
300/305 PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter (rev 90)

I am using XFree86 4.3.99.902-r2 (the Gentoo ebuild) because 4.3.0 does
not include any support for my card (sis_dri.so does not exist).
sis_dri.so does exist in this more recent version.

Although i have the sis, sis_agp, and agpgart modules loaded, my
XFree86.0.log shows the following:

(EE) SIS(0): [drm] Failed to acquire AGP, AGP disabled

I am at a loss. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Evan