[PLUG] Network Analysis

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Fri May 21 16:42:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, 21 May 2004, Michael Montagne wrote:

> I'm trying to integrate a samba server in a windows 98 peer to peer
> network.  Some machines can't even ping the samba machine and vice
> versa while others can.  Is there a tool or command to scan the subnet
> and tell me which machines I can find so I can start looking for
> similarities?  Is there a better approach?

There is fping (can't remember where to find it) but I'd suggest you power
the whole network down.  Start up the hubs/switches/routers and then the
Samba server.  After they're all running start the windows systems one at
a time.  I quite often had trouble with Win9x systems on a not-Windows
only network.  The stupid Windows machines and the MS TCP/IP stack would
get something in the mind and not let go of it.  ARP tables whatever. And
just retarting didn't work very often.  It took a complete powerdown.
   If this doesn't help try removing and reinstalling the TCP/IP stack and
if all else fails the NIC drivers.

Of course the network experts on the list probably have a better solution
but I usually got so mad I resorted to the bigger hammer technique.

Rod