[PLUG] Fedora RC2 warning...

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Fri May 21 17:03:01 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 15:04, Paul Johnson wrote:
> "Vincent Yau" <v_yau3 at hotmail.com> writes:
>
> > So, be forewarned that you are using a *newer* Nvidia chipset on
> > your video card, you may want rethink about using Fedora RC2...
>
> Given that this happens on every distro when you change the kernel,
> this appears to be a problem with nVidia's drivers.  Use a card whose
> open source drivers aren't hindered by the vendor and you won't have
> this problem.

Find me a card reasonably priced that performs comparably to nVidia
cards with open source driver that aren't hindered by the vendor...

nVidia does have good reason for keeping parts of their drivers closed
source.  As such, they must be distributed in binary form, and that 4k
stack option *does* break binary compatibility, apparently... so of
course it's going to break the drivers.  :-)

I do believe it is perhaps a bit irresponsible of RedHat to distribute a
kernel with the 4k option enabled....

Rob